Create FastMail Masked Email Addresses with maskedemail-cli

I’m a happy FastMail user.

If you want to be a happy, too, use my referral code for 10% off of your first year (and I’ll get a discount, too!) → https://ref.fm/u21056816

I never used their Masked Email feature, though, because it’s so cumbersome to create these addresses from the web UI. I all but forgot about this feature until today, when I looked for something else in my settings.

A quick research then produced a CLI application to manage Masked Emails: https://github.com/dvcrn/maskedemail-cli

Here’s how to set this up to make creating generated email addresses as easy as mm create!

Create a FastMail API Token

First, create an API token for the CLI app: https://app.fastmail.com/settings/security/integrations

Heads up: the FastMail settings have changed recently and API Tokens aren’t where the docs say they are. Go to Settings > Privacy & Security and pick the Integrations tab. API tokens are at the bottom.

Update 2023-04-18: FastMail support reacted fast and updated their docs to better reflect the new location.

I called my token “dvcrn/maskedemail-cli”. Grant it read-write access to “Masked Email”. (Read-write is the default.)

Now install the CLI tool.

Install maskedmail-cli

It requires Go:

$ brew install golang  # if you need Go
$ go install github.com/dvcrn/maskedemail-cli@latest

Go, by, default installs these binaries to ~/go/bin. I needed to add this to my path in my ~/.zshrc:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/go/bin

You can check that maskedemail-cli works by experimenting with examples from its README. I’m going ahead with the setup instead.

Store your FastMail API Token in Keychain

Add a password for maskedemail-cli to your Keychain like so:

$ security add-generic-password -a $USER -s "maskedemail-cli" -w "<<API TOKEN HERE>>"

Verify the password is readable:

$ security find-generic-password -ws "maskedemail-cli"

I asked for ideas on Mastodon and got the excellent advice not to pass the token (or any password for that matter) as a parameter, ever. Instead, favor the environment variables offered by maskedemail-cli.

$ maskedemail-cli
Usage of maskedemail-cli:
Global Flags:
  -accountid string
    	fastmail account id (or MASKEDEMAIL_ACCOUNTID env)
  -appname string
    	the appname to identify the creator (or MASKEDEMAIL_APPNAME env) (default: maskedemail-cli)
  -token string
    	the token to authenticate with (or MASKEDEMAIL_TOKEN env)

So we’ll be using MASKEDEMAIL_TOKEN.

Access the Keychain to populate the environment variable just before calling the actual command:

$ MASKEDEMAIL_TOKEN=$(security find-generic-password -ws "maskedmail-cli") maskedemail-cli session
your@email.com [deadbeef] (primary: true, enabled: true)

If everything worked, this should show details about your account session.

For brevity, you could reach for an alias:

# ⚠️ Don't do this!
$ alias mm="MASKEDEMAIL_TOKEN=$(security find-generic-password -ws "maskedmail-cli") maskedemail-cli"
$ mm list

But the alias evaluates the expression first, then stores the resulting string, including the plain text token. which mm would then print the token for everyone! Not good.

Use a function instead and forward parameters via $@:

mm() {
    MASKEDEMAIL_TOKEN=$(security find-generic-password -ws "maskedemail-cli")\
        maskedemail-cli "$@"
}

Update 2023-04-21: Added missing quotes around $@, which makes passing whitespace in quoted parameters possible instead of flattening everything. Thanks @teilweise@layer8.space!

With that, you can use the shorthand mm session or mm list just like you could with an alias, but the function will evaluate the sub-expression every time – like it should!

Getting a Masked Email is as simple as: mm create

To put the email onto your clipboard on macOS:

$ mm create | pbcopy

Nice! That’s already great for automation.

For fine-grained control, the create command also accepts

• -domain "<domain>", e.g. “facebook.com”
  • a human-readabable -desc "<description>"

To have an overview in the onslaught of newly generated email addresses, supplying these parameters is likely a good idea!

Now I’ll experiment with creating some Keyboard Maestro macros or Siri Shortcuts to make Masked Email creation simpler.

Join FastMail using my referral code for 10% off of your first year → https://ref.fm/u21056816